For the latest news please follow Alex on instagram here.
Alex Long (b 1987) is an emerging British figurative painter based in Oxfordshire, UK. Painting primarily on location, en plein air, his works seek to capture the mood and essence of a place at a particular moment in time. After returning to the UK following a year studying in Florence, his recent body of work focuses on oil paintings of Tuscany and wider Italy as well as new perspectives on his local area in the Cotswolds.
Alex explored painting for the very first time in 2019, after initially studying Chemistry and having worked as a Scientist in the Biotechnology sector for the previous 13 years. He is now pursuing a full-time career as an Artist, after gaining further training at a classical arts academy in Florence in addition to his self-taught studies.
Alex’s work is rooted in the long and complex history of British painters, especially those who once embarked upon the Grand Tour to enrich their studies and knowledge of the world. He believes that a deep understanding of the past is important for pursuing the future of figurative art; from making detailed copies of Old Master paintings and researching their techniques, challenges and historical contexts, to analysis of contemporary British, Italian and Russian
neo-impressionists, his studies have enabled him to develop quick and lively plein air compositions which still reflect an appreciation for the classical figurative representation of the natural world.
- Highgate Contemporary Art, Summer Exhibition, London. Aug 23rd - Sept 24th
- Royal Institute of Oil Painters Annual Exhibition 2022, Mall Galleries, London
- Art in the City winners exhibition, Gloucester Brewery. (2022)
- The Jam Factory, Open Exhibition, Oxford (2022)
- Broadway Arts Festival, Open exhibition (2022)
- West Ox arts, Group show, Oxfordshire (2022)
- The Jam Factory, Group show, Oxford (2022)
- Oxfordshire Artweeks Solo Exhibition, Witney (2022)
- “Highly Commended” for my painting of the Choir interior at Gloucester Cathedral during the Art in the City Plein Air competition in Gloucester. (2022)
- Longlisted for the Jackson’s Painting Prize. (2022)
- Florence Classical Arts Academy 2022-23